lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Cheolgoo Kang <app...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: modifying existing index
Date Wed, 24 Nov 2004 07:40:38 GMT
On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 13:04:20 +0530, Santosh <santosh.s@softprosys.com> wrote:
> I have gon through IndexReader , I got method :     delete(int docNum)   ,
> but from where I will get document number? Is  this predifined? or we have
> to give a number prior  to indexing?

The number(aka doc-id) is given by lucene and is it's an internal sequential
integer. This number is usually retrieved from Hits.id(int) of your search.

Hits myHits = myIndexSearcher.search( myQuery );
for ( int i=0; i<myHits.length(); i++ ) {
  Document doc = myHits.doc( myHits.id( i ) );
  // myHits.id( i ) retrieves the i-th doc-id and
  // myHits.doc( myHits.id( i ) ) returns the desired i-th document
  // in the result myHits.
}

HTH

Cheolgoo, Kang