lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Dmitry <dmit...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: Too many open files issue
Date Mon, 22 Nov 2004 15:16:06 GMT
I'm sorry, I wasn't involved in the original conversation but maybe I
can jump in with some info that will help.

The number of files depends on the merge factor, number of segments, and
number of indexed fields in your index. It also depends on whether you
are using "compound files" or not (this is a flag on the IndexWriter).
With compound files flag on, segments have fixed number of files,
regardless of how many fields you use. Without the flag, each field is a
separate file.

Let's say you have 10 segments (per your merge factor) that are being
merged into a new segment (via an optimize call or just because you have
reached the merge factor). This means there are 11 segments open at the
same time. If you have 20 indexed fields and are not using compound
files, that's 20 * 11 = 220 files. There are a few other files open as
well, plus whatever other files and sockets that your JVM process is
holding open at that time. This would include incoming connections, for
example, if this is running inside a web server. If you are running in
an application server, this could include connections and files open by
other applications in that same app server.

So the numbers run up quite a bit.

By the way, it is usual to have the file descriptors limit set at 9000
or so for unix machines running production web applications. By the way
2, on Solaris, you will need to modify a value in /etc/systems to get up
to this level. Not sure about Linux or other flavors.

Another suggestion - you may want to look into a tool called "lsof". It
is a utility that will show file handles open by a particular process.
It could be that some other part of your process (or of the application
server, VM, etc) is not closing files. This tool will help you see what
files are open and you can validate that all of the really need to be open.

Best of luck.
Dmitry.