lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Nader Henein <...@bayt.net>
Subject Re: How to efficiently get # of search results, per attribute
Date Sat, 13 Nov 2004 10:28:43 GMT
It depends on how many results they're looking through, here are two
scenarios I see:

1] If you don't have that many records you can fetch all the results and
then do a post parsing step the determine totals

2] If you have a lot of entries in each category and you're worried
about fetching thousands of records every time, you can just have
seperate indecies per category and search them in in parallel (not
Lucene Parallel Search) and you can get up to 100 hits for each one
(efficiency) but you'll also have the total from the search to display.

Either way you can boost up speed using RamDirectory if you need more
speed from the search, but whichever approach you choose I would
recommend that you sit down and do some number crunching to figure out
which way to go.

Hope this helps

Nader Henein