lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Sergiu Gordea <gser...@ifit.uni-klu.ac.at>
Subject Re: one huge index or many small ones?
Date Thu, 04 Nov 2004 18:01:53 GMT
javier muguruza wrote:

 Hi Javier,

 I think the your optimization should take care of the response time of
search queries. I asume that this is the
variable  you need to optimize. Probably it will be a good thing to read
first the lucene benchmarks:
http://jakarta.apache.org/lucene/docs/benchmarks.html.
<http://jakarta.apache.org/lucene/docs/benchmarks.html>

 If you have a mandatory date constraint for each of your indexes you
can split the index on time basis, I asume that
one index per month will be enough I think ... 10.000 emails I think it
will be fast enough if you will search in only one index afterwards.
But I think this is not such a good Idea?

What about creating one index per user? If your search require a user or
a sender, and you can get its name from database, and apply only
the other constrains on an index dedicated to that user .. I think the
lucene search will be much more faster.

Also the database search will be fast .. I don'T think you will have
more then 1.000-10.000 user names.

or maybe 1 index/user/year

or 1 index/receiver/year + 1index/sender/year

 What about this solution is it feasible for your system?

 All the best,

  Sergiu