lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodne...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: What is the best file system for Lucene?
Date Tue, 30 Nov 2004 17:04:07 GMT
Hello,

> Lucene indexing completes in 13-15 hours on the desktop system while
> it completes in about 29-33
> hours on the notebook.
>
> Now, combine it with the DROP INDEX tests completing in the same
> amount of time on both and find
> out why is the search only slightly faster :)
>
> > Until then, all your measurements are subjective and you
> > don't gain much by comparing the two indexing processes.
>
> I'm worried about searching. Indexing is a lot faster on the desktop
> config.

This tells you that your problem is not the disk itself, and not the
fielsystem.  The bottleneck is elsewhere.

Why not run your search under a profiler?  That will tell you where the
JVM is spending its time.  It may even be in some weird InetAddress
call, like another person already pointed out.

Otis