lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Sanyi <need4...@yahoo.com>
Subject What is the best file system for Lucene?
Date Tue, 30 Nov 2004 10:04:46 GMT
Hi!

I'm testing Lucene 1.4.2 on two very different configs, but with the same index.
I'm very surprised by the results: Both systems are searching at about the same speed, but
I'd
expect (and I really need) to run Lucene a lot faster on my stronger config.

Config #1 (a notebook):
WinXP Pro, NTFS, 1.8GHz Pentium-M, 768Megs memory, 7200RPM winchester

Config #2 (a desktop PC):
SuSE 9.1 Pro, resiefs, 3.0GHZ P4 HT (virtually two 3.0GHz P4s), 3GByte RAM, 15000RPM U320
SCSI
winchester

You can see that the hardware of #2 is at least twice better/faster than #1.
I'm searching the reason and the solution to take advantage of the better hardware compared
to the
poor notebook.
Currently #2 can't amazingly outperform the notebook (#1).

The question is: What can be worse in #2 than on the poor notebook?

I can imagine only software problems.
Which are the sotware parts then?
1. The OS
Is SuSE 9.1 a LOT slower than WinXP pro?
2. The file system
Is reisefs a LOT slower than NTFS?

Regards,
Sanyi