lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Paul Elschot <>
Subject Re: Bug in the BooleanQuery optimizer? ..TooManyClauses
Date Sat, 13 Nov 2004 11:36:49 GMT
On Saturday 13 November 2004 09:16, Sanyi wrote:
> > - leave the current implementation, raising an exception;
> > - handle the exception and limit the boolean query to the first 1024
> > (or what ever the limit is) terms;
> > - select, between the possible terms, only the first 1024 (or what
> > ever the limit is) more meaningful ones, leaving out all the others.
> I like this idea and I would finalize to myself like this:
> I'd also create a default rule for that to avoid handling exceptions for
people who're happy with
> the default behavior:
> Keep and search for only the longest 1024 fragments, so it'll throw
a,an,at,and,add,etc.., but
> it'll automatically keep 1024 variations like

Wouldn't it be counterintuitive to only use the longest matches
for truncations?
To have only longer matches one can also use queries with
multiple ? characters, each matching exactly one character.

I think it would be better encourage the users to use longer
and maybe also more prefixes. This gives more precise results
and is more efficient to execute.

Paul Elschot

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: