lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Sanyi <need4...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Bug in the BooleanQuery optimizer? ..TooManyClauses
Date Sat, 13 Nov 2004 08:16:20 GMT
> - leave the current implementation, raising an exception;
> - handle the exception and limit the boolean query to the first 1024
> (or what ever the limit is) terms;
> - select, between the possible terms, only the first 1024 (or what
> ever the limit is) more meaningful ones, leaving out all the others.

I like this idea and I would finalize to myself like this:
I'd also create a default rule for that to avoid handling exceptions for people who're happy
with
the default behavior:

Keep and search for only the longest 1024 fragments, so it'll throw a,an,at,and,add,etc..,
but
it'll automatically keep 1024 variations like alpha,alfa,advanced,automatical,etc..
So, it'll automatically lower the search overhead and will still search fine without throwing
exceptions.
(for people who prefer the widest search range and do not care about the huge overhead, we
could
leave a boolean switch for keeping not the longest, but the shortest fragments)