lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Daniel Naber <>
Subject Re: Bug in the BooleanQuery optimizer? ..TooManyClauses
Date Fri, 12 Nov 2004 20:52:25 GMT
On Friday 12 November 2004 21:28, Luke Francl wrote:

> > That's the point: there is no query optimizer in Lucene.
> Would it be possible to write one? I would be very interested in this
> feature.

There are two different issues: first, reorder the query so that those
terms with less matches appear first, because as soon as the first term
with 0 matches occurs, search stops. There will probably be a
non-so-difficult implementation for that, but this will have more overhead
than it saves time I guess.

The other thing is that prefix queries get expanded first, then the search
happens. And that TooManyQueries exception happens when expanding the
query, not during search. I'm not sure, but I think that's difficult to
change, at least in a clean way.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message