lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Sanyi <need4...@yahoo.com>
Subject Bug in the BooleanQuery optimizer? ..TooManyClauses
Date Thu, 11 Nov 2004 07:11:33 GMT
Hi!

First of all, I've read about BooleanQuery$TooManyClauses, so I know that it has a 1024 Clauses
limit by default which is good enough for me, but I still think it works strange.

Example:
I have an index with about 20Million documents.
Let's say that there is about 3000 variants in the entire document set of this word mask:
cab*
Let's say that about 500 documents are containing the word: spectrum
Now, when I search for "cab* AND spectrum", I don't expect it to throw an exception.
It should first restrict the search for the 500 documents containing the word "spectrum",
then it
should collect the variants of "cab*" withing these documents, which turns out in two or three
variants of "cab*" (cable, cables, maybe some more) and the search should return let's say
10
documents.

Similar example: When I search for "cab* AND nonexistingword" it still throws a TooManyClauses
exception instead of saying "No results", since there is no "nonexistingword" in my document
set,
so it doesn't even have to start collecting the variations of "cab*".

Is there any path for this issue?
Thank you for your time!

Sanyi
(I'm using: lucene 1.4.2)