lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Luke Francl <luke.fra...@stellent.com>
Subject Re: Lucene : avoiding locking (incremental indexing)
Date Mon, 15 Nov 2004 23:02:47 GMT
On Mon, 2004-11-15 at 16:50, jeichels@optonline.net wrote:
> So far I am seeing 2 solutions and honestly I don't love either totally.  I am thinking
that without changes to Lucene itself, the best "general" way to implement this might be to
have a queue of changes and have Lucene work off this queue in a single thread using a time-settable
batch method.   This is similar to what you are using below, but I don't like that you forcibly
unlock Lucene if it shows itself locked.   Using the Queue approach, only that one thread
could be accessing Lucene for writes/deletes anyway so there should be no "unknown" locking.

I forgot one aspect of my implementation that has implications for this
scheme: additions to the index don't show up until you call
IndexWriter.close(). There's no flush() method, so in your queue, you'd
need to open and close the IndexWriter when it was time to write the
changes to the index.

Luke