lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Luke Francl <luke.fra...@stellent.com>
Subject Re: Bug in the BooleanQuery optimizer? ..TooManyClauses
Date Fri, 12 Nov 2004 20:28:08 GMT
On Thu, 2004-11-11 at 14:48, Daniel Naber wrote:
> On Thursday 11 November 2004 20:57, Sanyi wrote:
>
> > What I'm saying is that there is no reason for the optimizer to expand
> > wild* to more than 1024 variations
>
> That's the point: there is no query optimizer in Lucene.

Would it be possible to write one? I would be very interested in this
feature.

I poked around in the index and search packages today to see if it could
be done. I think it would take a big change in the Query.rewrite and
related code in the IndexReaders to make the results of the required and
prohibited parts of the query available.

Again, I don't know if that's even possible. But it would be a great
feature.

Luke