lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Luke Francl <luke.fra...@stellent.com>
Subject Re: What is the difference between these searches?
Date Tue, 09 Nov 2004 22:14:40 GMT
On Tue, 2004-11-09 at 16:00, Paul Elschot wrote:

> Lucene has no provision for matching by being prohibited only. This can
> be achieved by indexing something for each document that can be
> used in queries to match always, combined with something prohibited
> in a query.
> But doing this is bad for performance for querying larger nrs of docs.

I'm familiar with Lucene's restrictions on prohibited queries, and I
have a required clause for a field that will always be part of the query
(it's not a nonsense value, it's the item type of the object in a CMS).

My problem is that I have been considering the whole query object that
I've generated. Every BooleanQuery that's a part of my finished query
must also have a required clause if it has a prohibited clause.

I'm thinking of refactoring my code so that instead of joining together
Query objects into a large BooleanQuery, it passes around BooleanClauses
and assembles them into a single BooleanQuery.

Thanks for your help,
Luke