lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Mark Page <m...@weballistics.com>
Subject Re: query boosting using a word list.
Date Sat, 06 Nov 2004 19:50:58 GMT
Hi Otis,

thanks for the reply. I'll have to read up the javadocs a bit more
before I fully understand your answer. ;)

One thing I had noticed in the docs (and was half expecting to get
pointed towards) is the WordlistLoader class. I was thinking that I
could maybe use this and create a kind of 'reverse' of the stop-word
list (boosting instead of removing), or am I barking up the wrong tree?

regards, -Mark.

On Sat, 2004-11-06 at 17:52, Otis Gospodnetic wrote:
> Hello Mark,
>
> It sounds like you could extend QueryParser and override one of the
> Query get***Query methods (getFieldQuery?), perhaps first calling the
> super method, and then adding a boost based on the words, which you
> would look up in your implementation of the getFieldQuery method.
>
> Otis
>

> --- Mark Page <mark@weballistics.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a database table of text flattend out and indexed.
> >
> > Although searching with fuzzy query works well in most instances, on
> > occasions however the target record appears way down the list of
> > matching records.
> >
> > This is because the query text may contain lots of irrelevant terms
> > (in
> > the context of the app) because the data is pulled from another
> > source.
> >
> > To solve this I need to create a word list, so that the terms that
> > are
> > important to the app are boosted in the search. as an example...
> >
> > word list contains car manufacturers and models:-
> > volkswagon
> > golf
> > polo
> >
> > query text = "gleaming white 2-door volkswagon golf"
> >
> > search = "gleaming white 2 door volkswagon^9 golf^9"
> >
> > I can use regexes to massage the raw query text, but was wondering if
> > there is a more elegant solution available within the Lucene API.
> >
> > As a Lucene newbie any pointers or suggestion to solve what must be
> > quite a common scenario appreciated.
> >
> > Regards, -Mark.

Mark Page
WEBallistics