lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Christoph Kiehl <ki...@subshell.com>
Subject Re: Indexing Strategy for 20 million documents
Date Tue, 12 Oct 2004 10:35:08 GMT
Otis Gospodnetic wrote:

> I would try putting everything in a single index first, and split it up
> only if I see performance issues.

Why would put everything into a single index? I found some benchmark
results on the list (starting with your post from 06/08/04) from which I
got the impression that the performance loss is very small if I choose
to search in multiple indexes with MultiSearcher instead of using one
big index.

> Going from 1 index to N indices is
> not a lot of work (not a lot of Lucene-related code).

How do you get from 1 index to N indices without adding the documents again?

Thanks,
Christoph