lucene-java-user mailing list archives

Subject RE: Indexing process causes Tomcat to stop working
Date Thu, 28 Oct 2004 10:00:27 GMT
before scewing tomcat too much...

1.make it sure both indexing and reading processes use the same locking
directory (i.e. set it explicitly, take a look in wiky how to)
2. try to execute queries from command line and see what happends
3. in case your queries use sorting, there is a memory leak it 1.4.1 ->
upgrade to 1.4.2

"James Tyrrell" <>
28.10.2004 10:13
Please respond to "Lucene Users List"

        cc:     (bcc: Iouli Golovatyi/X/GP/Novartis)
        Subject:        RE: Indexing process causes Tomcat to stop working

>From: "Armbrust, Daniel C." <>

Right got back to work with newly created  index to try these ideas,

>So, are you creating the indexes from inside the tomcat runtime, or are
>creating them on the command line (which would be in a different runtime
>than tomcat)?

I'm creating them on the command line using a variation on the standard
shown in the demo (has some additional optimisation input that is set to
default until I can fix this bug).

>What happens to tomcat?  Does it hang - still running but not responsive?
>Or does it crash?
>If it hangs, maybe you are running out of memory.  By default, Tomcat's
>limit is set pretty low...

It definately hangs when shutdown you can't access it, when re-started it
just sits there trying to access  port 8080

>There is no reason at all you should have to reboot... If you stop and
>start tomcat, (make sure it >actually stopped - sometimes it requires a
>kill -9 when it really gets hung) it should start working >again.
>Depending on your setup of Tomcat + apache, you may  have to restart
>as well to >get them linked to each other again...

Good news this did work, however I never see tomcat in top or even using
-A | grep tomcat, the only way I've found tomcat is using ps -auwx | grep
tomcat. The output is

*after tomcat run*
root      2266  0.0  3.8 243740 4860 pts/0   S    Oct26   0:36
/opt/jdk1.4/bin/java -Djava.endorsed.dirs=/opt/tomcat/common/endorsed

-Dcatalina.base=/opt/tomcat -Dcatalina.home=/opt/tomcat
root     16050  0.0  0.4  3576  620 pts/0    S    08:41   0:00 grep tomcat

I did however find two java proccesses running so I duitifully used kill
on both pid's, hey-presto when I restarted Tomcat it ran perfectly. So
I can work around this.... I think, I guess now the question becomes, does

anyone have any advice as to what could be causing this? Bearing in mind I

can still run java proccesses (even create new indexes) on the same
so it is just Tomcat thats affected.

Meanwhile, I will try as Dan suggested to raise the default memory of
significantly and run another index (it seems a likely culprit).

Thanks for all the help thus far, its more than appreciated regards,