lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Multi + Parallel
Date Wed, 13 Oct 2004 10:22:44 GMT
On Oct 13, 2004, at 3:14 AM, Karthik N S wrote:
> I was Curious to Know the Difference between ParallelMultiSearcher  and
> MultiSearcher ,
>
> 1) Is the working internal functionality of these  are  same or
> different .

They are different internally.  Externally they should return identical
results and not appear different at all.

Internally, ParallelMultiSearcher searches each index in a separate
thread (searches wait until all threads finish before returning).   In
MultiSearcher, each index is searched serially.

You will not likely see a benefit to using ParallelMultiSearcher unless
your environment is specialized to accommodate multi-threading
(multiple CPU's, indexes on separate drives that can operate
independently, etc).

> 2) In terms of time domain do these differ when searching same no of
> fields
> / words .
>
> 3)What are the features used on each of  API.

There is no external difference to using either implementation.
Benchmark searches using both and see what is best, but generally
MultiSeacher will be better in most environments as it avoids the
overhead of starting up and managing multiple threads.

	Erik