lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Armbrust, Daniel C." <Armbrust.Dan...@mayo.edu>
Date Wed, 27 Oct 2004 17:26:29 GMT
Wouldn't it make more sense if the constructor for the IndexWriter always created an index
if it doesn't exist - and the boolean parameter should be clear (instead of create)

So instead of this (from javadoc):

IndexWriter

public IndexWriter(Directory d,
                   Analyzer a,
                   boolean create)
            throws IOException

    Constructs an IndexWriter for the index in d. Text will be analyzed with a. If create
is true, then a new, empty index will be created in d, replacing the index already there,
if any.

Parameters:
    d - the index directory
    a - the analyzer to use
    create - true to create the index or overwrite the existing one; false to append to the
existing index
Throws:
    IOException - if the directory cannot be read/written to, or if it does not exist, and
create is false

We would have this:

IndexWriter

public IndexWriter(Directory d,
                   Analyzer a,
                   boolean clear)
            throws IOException

    Constructs an IndexWriter for the index in d. Text will be analyzed with a. If clear is
true, and a index exists at location d, then it will be erased, and a new, empty index will
be created in d.

Parameters:
    d - the index directory
    a - the analyzer to use
    clear - true to overwrite the existing one; false to append to the existing index
Throws:
    IOException - if the directory cannot be read/written to, or if it does not exist.

Its current behavior is kind of annoying, because I have an app that should never clear an
existing index, it should always append.  So I want create set to false.  But when I am starting
a brand new index, then I have to change the create flag to keep it from throwing an exception...
 I guess for now I will have to write code to check if a index actually has content yet, and
if it doesn't, change the flag on the fly.