lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Armbrust, Daniel C." <Armbrust.Dan...@mayo.edu>
Subject RE: Indexing process causes Tomcat to stop working
Date Wed, 27 Oct 2004 16:13:15 GMT
So, are you creating the indexes from inside the tomcat runtime, or are you creating them on
the command line (which would be in a different runtime than tomcat)?

What happens to tomcat?  Does it hang - still running but not responsive?  Or does it crash?

If it hangs, maybe you are running out of memory.  By default, Tomcat's limit is set pretty
low...

There is no reason at all you should have to reboot... If you stop and start tomcat, (make
sure it actually stopped - sometimes it requires a kill -9 when it really gets hung) it should
start working again.  Depending on your setup of Tomcat + apache, you may  have to restart
apache as well to get them linked to each other again...

Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: James Tyrrell [mailto:jr_tyrrell@hotmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 27, 2004 10:49 AM
To: lucene-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: RE: Indexing process causes Tomcat to stop working

Aad,
      D'oh forgot to mention that mildly important info. Rather than
re-index I am just creating a new index each time, this makes things easier
to roll-back etc (which is what my boss wants). the command line is
something like <java com.lucene.IndexHTML -create -index indexstore/ ..> I
have wondered about whether sessions could be a problem, but I don't think
so, otherwise wouldn't a restart of Tomcat be sufficient rather than a
reboot? I even tried the killall command on java & tomcat then started
everything again to no avail.

cheers,

JT