lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Jeff Munson" <jmun...@newspaperarchive.com>
Subject MultiSearcher object question
Date Tue, 19 Oct 2004 15:34:36 GMT
I've just indexed over 600,000 documents (index size = 12GB) and have a
simple servlet to search the index.  I am using the MultiSearcher object
(I will add more indexes in the future) in a servlet to test searching.
I have noticed that the instantiation of my MulitSearcher object is
taking about 5 seconds.  As a solution, I have created the MultiSearcher
object and stored it in the Application context so I create it once and
access it subsequent times.

My question is, is this a recommended practice?  If I have 1000 users
concurrently searching, will this approach cause problems?  What do
others do in web applications using the MultiSearcher object?