lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Christiaan Fluit <christiaan.fl...@aduna.biz>
Subject Re: Backup strategies
Date Wed, 27 Oct 2004 12:26:59 GMT
Christoph Kiehl wrote:
> I'm curious about your strategy to backup indexes based on FSDirectory.
> If I do a file based copy I suspect I will get corrupted data because of
> concurrent write access.
> My current favorite is to create an empty index and use
> IndexWriter.addIndexes() to copy the current index state. But I'm not
> sure about the performance of this solution.

I have no practical experience with backing up an online index, but I
would try to find out the details of the write lock mechanism used by
Lucene at the file level. You can then create a backup component that
write-locks the index and does a regular file copy of the index dir.
During backup time searches can continue while updates will be
temporarily blocked.

But as I said, I'm only speculating...

Chris