lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Dmitry Serebrennikov <dmit...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: "Orphan" segment files
Date Sun, 03 Oct 2004 20:04:54 GMT
Edwin Tang wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I am running on Windows XP. Since our indices are constantly changing, we close
>the searchers after each search.
>
>I was running Lucene 1.4 and 1.4.1, and saw this problem. I replaced 1.4.1 with
>1.4.2 on Friday, but haven't had a chance to observe its behavior since.
>
>Would you say it's safe to delete these files?

As far as I know, yes. The only segments that matter are those
referenced from the "segments" file or those that may still be open by
the application. By the way, how do you know they are not referenced?
Did you write some custom code to parse the segments file (or just using
a hex editor or something)?

Is it possible that your index update code sometimes fails by does not
record its exceptions? That could explain why you have abandoned
segments lying around.
Also, are these segments about the size of your full index or about the
size of an incremental segment you might find when new documents are
added? If you are able to look into the "segments" file manually,
perhaps you can also put a new one together that references these
segments? This would allow you to use something like Luke
(http://www.getopt.org/luke/) to look into them and see what documents
they contain?

Good luck!
Dmitry.