lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Weir, Michael" <Michael.W...@cognos.com>
Subject RE: Encrypted indexes
Date Mon, 18 Oct 2004 20:14:16 GMT
Thanks to everyone for their help.
I think I will try using symmetric encryption.

Two new questions:
1. Is there code available that implements a new type of filesystem
directory?
2. Does anyone have any suggestions or warnings?  I.e. if Lucene opens
all the files in a directory and then randomly accesses them, I might
have memory problems with large indexes.

Thanks for any help.
Michael Weir

-----Original Message-----
From: Cheolgoo Kang [mailto:appler@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 13, 2004 9:48 AM
To: Lucene Users List
Subject: Re: Encrypted indexes

I think it's possible to make a field encrypted by an symmetric
encryption algorithms just the same as the compressed field and
algorithms such like DES can be used with little performance loss.

If the ability to block reverse engineering is critical, you should use
PKI and would result more and more performance loss than those symmectic
methods.

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 15:33:53 +0200, petite_abeille
<petite_abeille@mac.com> wrote:

> On Oct 13, 2004, at 15:26, Nader Henein wrote:
>
> > Well, are you "storing" any data for retrieval from the index,
> > because you could encrypt the actual data and then encrypt the
> > search string public key style.
>
> Alternatively, write your index to an encrypted volume... something
> along the line of FileVault and PGP Disk [1] [2].
>
> PA.
>
> [1] http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/filevault/
> [2] http://www.pgp.com/products/desktop/index.html

Cheolgoo, Kang

       This message may contain privileged and/or confidential information.  If you have received
this e-mail in error or are not the intended recipient, you may not use, copy, disseminate
or distribute it; do not open any attachments, delete it immediately from your system and
notify the sender promptly by e-mail that you have done so.  Thank you.