lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Otis Gospodnetic <>
Subject Re: Indexing Strategy for 20 million documents
Date Fri, 08 Oct 2004 13:11:37 GMT

These questions are difficult to answer, because the answer depends on
a number of factors, such as:
- hardware (memory, disk speed, number of disks...)
- index complexity and size (number of fields and their size)
- number of queries/second
- complexity of queries

I would try putting everything in a single index first, and split it up
only if I see performance issues.  Going from 1 index to N indices is
not a lot of work (not a lot of Lucene-related code).  If searching 1
big index is too slow, split your index, put each index on a separate
disk, and use ParallelMultiSearcher
to search your indices.