lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Aviran" <>
Subject RE: MultiSearcher object question
Date Tue, 19 Oct 2004 19:30:44 GMT
As long as the index has not changed you should reuse the same searcher, and
not instantiate a new one every time.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeff Munson []
Sent: Tuesday, October 19, 2004 11:35 AM
Subject: MultiSearcher object question

I've just indexed over 600,000 documents (index size = 12GB) and have a
simple servlet to search the index.  I am using the MultiSearcher object (I
will add more indexes in the future) in a servlet to test searching. I have
noticed that the instantiation of my MulitSearcher object is taking about 5
seconds.  As a solution, I have created the MultiSearcher object and stored
it in the Application context so I create it once and access it subsequent

My question is, is this a recommended practice?  If I have 1000 users
concurrently searching, will this approach cause problems?  What do others
do in web applications using the MultiSearcher object?

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: