lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Aad Nales" <aad.na...@rotterdam-cs.com>
Subject locking problems
Date Fri, 08 Oct 2004 15:07:45 GMT
Based on discussions in this group I figure that I should 'cache'
IndexSearchers and IndexReaders, which i did. I have build an
IndexSearcherPool and an IndexReaderPool. Both seem to work fine
(although I am still testing). However, whenever I use these I can not
create an IndexWriter. The thread fails and generates a timeout on
org.apache.lucene.store.Lock.obtain (1.3.1) in line 97.

Can somebody help me to figure out with what actions these locks are
obtained? I have been reading all faq's on the subject but failed to
understand the following:

1. can I have one or multiple searchers open when I open a writer?
2. can I have one or multiple readers open when I open a writer?

And if not. I am writing an application that does regular updates on the
index what kind of strategy could you advise? Should  I use
ResourcePooling at all?

TIA,
Aad Nales

--