lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Ulrich Mayring <u...@denic.de>
Subject Re: Strange search results with wildcard - Bug?
Date Thu, 23 Sep 2004 15:00:43 GMT
Erik Hatcher wrote:

> Look at AnalysisDemo referred to here:
>
>     http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-lucene/AnalysisParalysis
>
> Keep in mind that phrase queries do not support wildcards - they are
> analyzed and any wildcard characters are likely stripped and cause
> tokens to split.

Ok, I did all that and identified a basic case:

If the user searches for "007001 handle", the MultiFieldQueryParser,
which searches in the fields "title" and "contents", changes that query to:

(title:007001 +title:handl) (contents:007001 +contents:handl)

So, actually it has nothing to do with the wildcard, the problem comes
from the + modifier - where does it originate? Obviously, this way I can
never find a document without the term "handle", but with the number 007001.

Kind regards,

Ulrich