lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Ulrich Mayring <u...@denic.de>
Subject Strange search results with wildcard - Bug?
Date Thu, 23 Sep 2004 09:09:20 GMT
Hi all,

first, here's how to reproduce the problem:

Go to http://www.denic.de/en/special/index.jsp and enter "obscure
service" in the search field. You'll get 132 hits. Now enter "obscure
service*" - and you only get 1 hit.

The above website is running Lucene 1.3rc3, but I was able to reproduce
this locally with 1.4.1. Here are my local results with "controlled
pseudo" documents, perhaps you can see a pattern:

searching for "00700*" gets two documents:
"007001 action" and "007002 handle"

searching for "handle" gets two documents:
"007002 handle" and "011010 handle"

searching for "00700* handle" gets two documents:
"007002 handle" and "011010 handle"
But where is "007001 action"?

searching for "handle 00700*" gets two documents:
"007001 action" and "007002 handle"
But where is "001010 handle"?

We're using the MultiFieldQueryParser and the Snowball Stemmers, if that
makes any difference.

Many thanks in advance for any pointers,

Ulrich