lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Marco Schmidt <marcoschm...@users.sourceforge.net>
Subject Combining Lucene and database functionality
Date Tue, 21 Sep 2004 23:28:18 GMT
I'm trying to find out whether Lucene is an option for a project of
mine. I have texts which also have a date and a list of numbers
associated with each of them. These numbers are ID values which connect
the article to certain categories. So a particular article X might
belong to categories 17, 49 and 112. A search for all articles
containing "foo bar" and belonging to categories 100 to 140 should
return X (because it also contains "foo bar"). Is it possible to do this
with Lucene and if it is, how? I've read about the concept of fields in
Lucene, but it seems to me that you can only store text in them, not
integers, let alone list of integers. None of the tutorials I've seen
deals with more complex queries like that. Basically what I want to
accomplish could be done nicely with databases with full text search
capability, if that full text search wasn't so awful.

Regards,
Marco