lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Balasubramanian.Vi...@epamail.epa.gov
Subject Re: Highlighting PDF file after the search
Date Mon, 20 Sep 2004 22:20:55 GMT

Thanks David.  I'll give that a shot and let you know.

Vijay Balasubramanian
DPRA Inc.,
214 665 7503

                      David Spencer

                      <dave-lucene-user        To:       Lucene Users List <lucene-user@jakarta.apache.org>

                      @tropo.com>              cc:

                                               Subject:  Re: Highlighting PDF file after the
search
                      09/20/2004 05:02

                      PM

                      Please respond to

                      Lucene Users List

Balasubramanian.Vijay@epamail.epa.gov wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I can successfully index and search the PDF documents, however i am
not
> able to highlight the searched text in my original PDF file (ie: like
> dtSearch
> highlights on original file)
>
> I took a look at the highlighter in sandbox, compiled it and have it
> ready.  I am wondering if this highlighter is for highlighting indexed
> documents or
> can it be used for PDF Files as is !  Please enlighten !

I did this a few weeks ago.

There are two ways, and they both revolve round the same thing, you need

the tokenized PDF text available.

[a] Store the tokenized PDF text in the index, or in some other file on
disk i.e. a "cache" ( but cache is a misleading term, as you can't have
a cache miss unless you can do [b]).

[b] Tokenize it on the fly when you call getBestFragments() - the 1st
arg, the TokenStream, should be one that takes a PDF file as input and
tokenizes it.

http://www.searchmorph.com/pub/jakarta-lucene-sandbox/contributions/highlighter/build/docs/api/org/apache/lucene/search/highlight/Highlighter.html#getBestFragments(org.apache.lucene.analysis.TokenStream,%20java.lang.String,%20int,%20java.lang.String)