lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <>
Subject Re: Memory usage: IndexSearcher & Sort
Date Wed, 29 Sep 2004 18:29:42 GMT

On Sep 29, 2004, at 3:11 PM, Bryan Dotzour wrote:
> 3.  Certainly some of you on this list are using Lucene in a web-app
> environment.  Can anyone list some best practices on managing
> reading/writing/searching a Lucene index in that context?

Beyond the advice already given on this thread, since you said you were
using Tapestry, I keep an IndexSearcher as a transient lazy-init'd
property of my Global object.  It needs to be transient in case you are
scaling with distributed servers in a farm and lazy init'd so to
instantiate the first time.

Global, in Tapestry, makes a good place to put index operations.  As
for searching - a good first try is to re-query for each page of search
results (if you're implementing paging of results, that is).  It is
often fast enough.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message