lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Cocula Remi" <rcoc...@sopragroup.com>
Subject RE: Help for text based indexing
Date Tue, 14 Sep 2004 15:37:37 GMT
You just have to loop recurssively over the C:\tomcat\webapps\Root tree to create your index.
Yes you can index databases; you will just have to write a mechanism that is able to create
org.apache.lucene.document.Document from database.
For instance :
- connect JDBC
- run a query for obtaining a ResultSet
- loop for each row of that ResultSet :
	Create a new org.apache.lucene.document.Document from ResultSet data
	and add this document to the Index.
end loop.

For incremental indexing, I suppose you have to store some timestamp field in your index;
but it's up to you.
Note that Lucene is very fast and I don't think that incremetal indexing is required for small
or medium amout of data.

-----Message d'origine-----
De : mahaveer jain [mailto:jainmahaveer23@yahoo.com]
Envoyé : mardi 14 septembre 2004 17:22
À : lucene-user@jakarta.apache.org
Objet : Help for text based indexing

Hi

I have implemented Text based search using lucene. I was wonderful playing around with it.

Now I want to enchance the application.

I have a Root folder, under that I have many other folder, that are group specific, say (group1,
group2, .. so on). The Root folder is in C:\tomcat\webapps\Root and group folder within that.

Now I am index for these groups separately, ie , I have index as C:/index/group1, C:/index/group2,
C:/index/group3 and so on

I want to know if I can have only one index for all these say C:/index/Root (this has index
for all the folder) and I should be able to Search using C:\tomcat\webapps\Root\group1(if
want to search for group1) similarly for the other groups.

Let me know if this is possible and have anybody tried this.

2nd question

Is lucene good to index databases ? How do we support incremental indexing ?

(Right now I am using LIKE for searching )

Thanks in Advance

Mahaveer