lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "René Hackl" <rene.a.ha...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: MultiFieldQueryParser seems broken... Fix attached.
Date Thu, 09 Sep 2004 07:39:39 GMT
Bill,

Thank you for clarifying on that issue. I missed the...

> (title:cutting OR author:cutting) AND (title:lucene OR author:lucene)
> (title:cutting OR title:lucene) AND (author:cutting OR author:lucene)
>
> Note that this would match even if only "lucene" occurred in the

... "only lucene"/"only cutting" match.

> I'd think that if a user specified a query "cutting lucene", with an
> implicit AND and the default fields "title" and "author", they'd
> expect to see a match in which both "cutting" and "lucene" appears.

Hopefully they'd expect that. Sometimes users assume that e.g. "coffee OR
tea" would provide matches with either term, but not both. But this is
already "user-attune your application" territory. Your proposal makes
perfect sense, of course.

René

--
Supergünstige DSL-Tarife + WLAN-Router für 0,- EUR*
Jetzt zu GMX wechseln und sparen http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl