lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From sergiu gordea <gser...@ifit.uni-klu.ac.at>
Subject Re: indexes won't close on windows
Date Mon, 20 Sep 2004 12:50:41 GMT
Hi Fred,

 That's right, there are many references to this kind of problems in the
lucene-user list.
This suggestions were already made, but I'll list them once again:

1. One way to use the IndexSearcher is to use yopur code, but I don't
encourage users to do that
            IndexReader reader = null;
        IndexSearcher searcher = null;
        reader = IndexReader.open(indexName);
          searcher = new IndexSearcher(reader);

    It's better to use the constructor that uses a String to create a
IndexSearcher.
|*IndexSearcher
<http://localhost:8080/webdoc/lucene/docs/api/org/apache/lucene/search/IndexSearcher.html#IndexSearcher%28java.lang.String%29>*(String

<http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4/docs/api/java/lang/String.html> path)|. I
even suggest that the path to be obtained as

File indexFolder = new File(luceneIndex);
IndexSearcher searcher = new IndexSearcher(indexFolder.toString()).

2. I can imagine situations when the lucene index must be created at
each startup, but I think that this is very rare,
so I suggest to use code like

if(indexExists(indexFolder))
    writer = new IndexWriter(index, new StandardAnalyzer(), false);
else
    writer = new IndexWriter(index, new StandardAnalyzer(), true);
//don#t forget to close the indexWriter when you create the index and to
open it again

I use a indexExists function like
boolean indexExists(File indexFolder)
    return indexFolder.exists()

and it works propertly .... even if that's not the best example of
testing the existence of the index

3.'It is here that I get a failure, "can't delete _b9.cfs"'

 that's ptobably because of the way you use the searcher, and probably
because you don't close the readers, writers and searchers propertly.
4. be sure that all close() methods are guarded with
    catch(Exception e){
          logger.log(e);
    } blocks

5. Pay attention if you use a multithreading environment, in this case
you have to make indexing, delition and search synchronized

   So ...

  Have fun,

    Sergiu

PS: I think that I'll submit some code with synchronized
index/delete/search operations and to tell why I need to use it.