lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Derek Baker <de...@idexx.com>
Subject range query problems
Date Fri, 17 Sep 2004 17:37:59 GMT
Hi,

I'm having a problem with a range query.

I have a field in my documents called "adzer". In at least one of those
documents, the value is: "-000000009999999993" (without the quotes). I
know this because if I create a search string like so: "adzer:
\\-000000009999999993" (again, without the quotes), I get results.

However, if I create a range query that I would expect to find that
value, I get nothing. The range query string is: "adzer:[# TO 0]" (minus
the quotes). As far as I can tell, this query string should find any
value in the adzer fields that starts with a "-". The unicode value for
# comes before the unicode value for - and the unicode value for - comes
before the unicode value for 0. Creating a sample program with the
mentioned Strings and using the compareTo function seems to confirm
this. But Lucene seems to disagree.

Am I missing something here? I've been banging my head on this all day,
and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Derek