lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: NGramSpeller contribution -- Re: combining open office spellchecker with Lucene
Date Tue, 14 Sep 2004 21:20:52 GMT
Andrzej Bialecki wrote:
> I was wondering about the way you build the n-gram queries. You
> basically don't care about their position in the input term. Originally
> I thought about using PhraseQuery with a slop - however, after checking
> the source of PhraseQuery I realized that this probably wouldn't be that
> fast... You use BooleanQuery and start/end boosts instead, which may
> give similar results in the end but much cheaper.

Sloppy PhraseQuery's are slower than BooleanQueries, but not horribly
slower.  The problem is that they don't handle the case where phrase
elements are missing altogether, while a BooleanQuery does.  So what you
really need is maybe a variation of a sloppy PhraseQuery that scores
matches that do not contain all of the terms...

Doug