lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: frequent terms - Re: combining open office spellchecker with Lucene
Date Sat, 11 Sep 2004 03:03:38 GMT
David Spencer wrote:
> Doug Cutting wrote:
>
>> And one should not try correction at all for terms which occur in a
>> large proportion of the collection.
>

> I keep thinking over this one and I don't understand it. If a user
> misspells a word and the "did you mean" spelling correction algorithm
> determines that a frequent term is a good suggestion, why not suggest
> it? The very fact that it's common could mean that it's more likely that
> the user wanted this word (well, the heuristic here is that users
> frequently search for frequent terms, which is probabably wrong, but
> anyway..).

I think you misunderstood me.  What I meant to say was that if the term
the user enters is very common then spell correction may be skipped.
Very common words which are similar to the term the user entered should
of course be shown.  But if the user's term is very common one need not
even attempt to find similarly-spelled words.  Is that any better?

Doug