lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Daniel Taurat" <daniel.tau...@gaussvip.com>
Subject Re: Out of memory in lucene 1.4.1 when re-indexing large number of documents
Date Fri, 10 Sep 2004 14:39:32 GMT
Hi all,
here is some update for you:
I switched back to Lucene 1.3-final and now the  number of the
SegmentTermEnum objects is controlled by gc again:
it goes up to about 1000 and then it is down again to 254 after indexing
my 1900 test-objects.
Stay tuned, I will try 1.4RC3 now, the last version before FieldCache
was introduced...

Daniel

Rupinder Singh Mazara schrieb:

>hi all
>
>  I had a similar problem, i have  database of documents with 24 fields, and a average
content of 7K, with  16M+ records

>  i had to split the jobs into slabs of 1M each and merging the resulting indexes, submissions
to our job queue looked like

>  java -Xms100M -Xcompactexplicitgc -cp $CLASSPATH lucene.Indexer 22
>
> and i still had outofmemory exception , the solution that i created was to after every
200K, documents create a temp directory, and merge them together, this was done to do the
first production run, updates are now being handled incrementally

>Exception in thread "main" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
>at org.apache.lucene.store.RAMOutputStream.flushBuffer(RAMOutputStream.java(Compiled Code))
>	at org.apache.lucene.store.OutputStream.flush(OutputStream.java(Inlined Compiled Code))
>	at org.apache.lucene.store.OutputStream.writeByte(OutputStream.java(Inlined Compiled
Code))
>	at org.apache.lucene.store.OutputStream.writeBytes(OutputStream.java(Compiled Code))
>	at org.apache.lucene.index.CompoundFileWriter.copyFile(CompoundFileWriter.java(Compiled
Code))
>	at org.apache.lucene.index.CompoundFileWriter.close(CompoundFileWriter.java(Compiled
Code))
>	at org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentMerger.createCompoundFile(SegmentMerger.java(Compiled
Code))
>	at org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentMerger.merge(SegmentMerger.java(Compiled Code))
>	at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.mergeSegments(IndexWriter.java(Compiled Code))
>	at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.optimize(IndexWriter.java:366)
>	at lucene.Indexer.doIndex(CDBIndexer.java(Compiled Code))
>	at lucene.Indexer.main(CDBIndexer.java:168)

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

    Dr. Daniel Taurat

    Senior Consultant
--
VIP ENTERPRISE 8 | THE POWER OF CONTENT AT WORK

Gauss Interprise AG      Phone:  +49-40-3250-1508
Weidestr. 120 a          Mobile: +49-173-2418472
D- 22083 Hamburg         Fax:    +49-40-3250-191508
Germany                  E-Mail: daniel.taurat@gaussvip.com
                         Web:    http://www.gaussvip.com