lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: combining open office spellchecker with Lucene
Date Thu, 09 Sep 2004 17:03:06 GMT
Aad Nales wrote:
> Before I start reinventing wheels I would like to do a short check to
> see if anybody else has already tried this. A customer has requested us
> to look into the possibility to perform a spell check on queries. So far
> the most promising way of doing this seems to be to create an Analyzer
> based on the spellchecker of OpenOffice. My question is: "has anybody
> tried this before?"

Note that a spell checker used with a search engine should use
collection frequency information.  That's to say, only "corrections"
which are more frequent in the collection than what the user entered
should be displayed.  Frequency information can also be used when
constructing the checker.  For example, one need never consider
proposing terms that occur in very few documents.  And one should not
try correction at all for terms which occur in a large proportion of the
collection.

Doug