lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From sergiu gordea <gser...@ifit.uni-klu.ac.at>
Subject Re: MultiFieldQueryParser seems broken... Fix attached.
Date Thu, 09 Sep 2004 12:10:56 GMT
René Hackl wrote:

>Bill,
>
>Thank you for clarifying on that issue. I missed the...
>

>>(title:cutting OR author:cutting) AND (title:lucene OR author:lucene)

>>(title:cutting OR title:lucene) AND (author:cutting OR author:lucene)
>>
>>Note that this would match even if only "lucene" occurred in the
>>

>... "only lucene"/"only cutting" match.
>

>>I'd think that if a user specified a query "cutting lucene", with an
>>implicit AND and the default fields "title" and "author", they'd
>>expect to see a match in which both "cutting" and "lucene" appears.
>>

>Hopefully they'd expect that. Sometimes users assume that e.g. "coffee OR
>tea" would provide matches with either term, but not both. But this is
>already "user-attune your application" territory. Your proposal makes
>perfect sense, of course.
>
>René

is it a problem if the users will search "coffee OR tea" as a search
string in the case that MultifieldQueryParser is
modifyed as Bill suggested?, and the default opperator is set to AND?

I don't think so ... I think that the resulting Query should be:

(title:cutting OR author:cutting) OR (title:lucene OR author:lucene)

 And I think that the results will be correct.
Am I wrong?

I don't know exactly what will happen with more complex queries, the uses grouping, exact
matches and NOT operator

like:

  (alcohol NOT tea) OR ("black tea" AND brandy)
what will happen if you send this to a MultifieldQueryParser that searches in an index with

the fields "drink" and "juices"

Maybe this kind of search constructions should be a part of JUnit tests, if they are not already
there.

 Thanks,

 Sergiu