lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From sergiu gordea <gser...@ifit.uni-klu.ac.at>
Subject *term search
Date Wed, 08 Sep 2004 10:26:18 GMT

 Hi all,

I want to discuss a little problem, lucene doesn't support *Term like
queries.
I know that this can bring a lot of results in the memory and therefore
it is restricted.

I think that allowing this kind of search and limiting the amount of
returned results would be
a more usefull aproach. Since the german language has a lot of words
that are concatenated or
derivated from another words by using a prefix.

 I'm not a good german speaker but I can say that maybe a half of the
german words are a part of the
category described above.

for example
Himbeer, Erdbeer, Johanesbeer -- all of them are fruits from a certain
category. So it will make sense to search
for "*beer". Also ... I know that the word is ended in "beer" but I
don't know the exact word ...
"*beer" will help me a lot.

also:
schreiben = to write
beschreiben = to describe
verschreiben = to subscribe ..

I would like to use "*schreiben".

 So my question is if there is a simple solution for implementing the
funtionality mentioned above.
Maybe subclassing one class and overwriting some methods will sufice.

 Thank in advance,

 Sergiu