lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Minh Kama Yie <>
Subject Use of explain() vs search()
Date Wed, 08 Sep 2004 04:28:15 GMT
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the expected behaviour is
for calling an explain() without calling a search() first on a
particular query. Would it effectively do a search and then I can
examine the Explanation in order to check whether it matches?

I'm currently looking at some existing code to this effect:

Explanation  exp = searcher.explain(myQuery, docId)
// Where docId was _not_ returned by a search on myQuery

if (exp.getValue() > 0.0f)
    // Assuming document for docId matched query.

Is the assumption wrong?

I ask because the result of this code is inconsistent with

Hits h =;  // there are not hits returned.

Thanks in advance,

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message