lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From roy-lucene-u...@xemaps.com
Subject Hits.doc(x) and range queries
Date Tue, 14 Sep 2004 21:37:43 GMT
Hi guys!

I've posted previously that Hits.doc(x) was taking a long time.  Turns out it
has to do with a date range in our query.  We usually do date ranges like this:
Date:[(lucene date field) - (lucene date field)]

Sometimes the begin date is "000000000" which is what we get from
DateField.dateToString( ( new Date( 0 ) ).

This is when getting our search results from the Hits object takes an absurd
amount of time.  Its usually each time the Hits object attempts to get more
results from an IndexSearcher ( aka, every 100? ).

It also takes up more memory...

I was wondering why it affects the search so much even though we're only
returning 350 or so results.  Does the QueryParser do something similar to the
DateFilter on range queries?  Would it be better to use a DateFilter?

We're using Lucene 1.2 (with plans to upgrade).  Do newer versions of Lucene
have this problem?

Roy.