lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Honey George <honey_geo...@yahoo.com>
Subject PorterStemfilter
Date Tue, 14 Sep 2004 17:57:12 GMT
Hi,
 This might be more of a questing related to the
PorterStemmer algorithm rather than with lucene, but
if anyone has the knowledge please share.

I am using the PorterStemFilter that some with lucene
and it turns out that searching for the word 'printer'
does not return a document containing the text
'print'. To narrow down the problem, I have tested the
PorterStemFilter in a standalone programs and it turns
out that the stem of printer is 'printer' and not
'print'. That is 'printer' is not equal to 'print' +
'er', the whole of the word is stem. Can somebody
explain the behavior.

Thanks & Regards,
   George