lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From roy-lucene-u...@xemaps.com
Subject question on Hits.doc
Date Fri, 10 Sep 2004 22:19:32 GMT
Hey guys,

We were noticing some speed problems on our searches and after adding some
debug statements to the lucene source code, we have determined that the
Hits.doc(x) is the problem.  (BTW, we are using Lucene 1.2 [with plans to
upgrade]).  It seems that retrieving the actual Document from the search is
very slow.

We think it might be our "Message" field which stores a huge amount of text.
We are currently running a test in which we won't "store" the "Message" field,
however, I was wondering if any of you guys would know if that would be the
reason why we're having the performance problems?  If so, could anyone also
please explain it?  It seemed that we weren't having these performance
problems before.  Has anyone else experienced this?  Our environment is NT 4,
JDK 1.4.2, and PIIIs.

I know that for large text fields, storing the field is not a good practice,
however, it held certain conveniences for us that I hope to not get rid of.

Roy.