lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Morus Walter <morus.wal...@tanto.de>
Subject Re: Strange search results with wildcard - Bug?
Date Thu, 23 Sep 2004 09:26:31 GMT
Ulrich Mayring writes:
> Hi all,
>
> first, here's how to reproduce the problem:
>
> Go to http://www.denic.de/en/special/index.jsp and enter "obscure
> service" in the search field. You'll get 132 hits. Now enter "obscure
> service*" - and you only get 1 hit.
>
> The above website is running Lucene 1.3rc3, but I was able to reproduce
> this locally with 1.4.1. Here are my local results with "controlled
> pseudo" documents, perhaps you can see a pattern:
>
> searching for "00700*" gets two documents:
> "007001 action" and "007002 handle"
>

> searching for "handle" gets two documents:
> "007002 handle" and "011010 handle"
>

> searching for "00700* handle" gets two documents:
> "007002 handle" and "011010 handle"
> But where is "007001 action"?
>

> searching for "handle 00700*" gets two documents:
> "007001 action" and "007002 handle"
> But where is "001010 handle"?
>

> We're using the MultiFieldQueryParser and the Snowball Stemmers, if that
> makes any difference.

Your number/handle samples look ok to me if the default operator is AND.

Note that wildcard expressions are not analyzed so if service is
stemmed to anything different from service, it's not surprising that
service* doesn't find it.

I think you should look at a) what's the analyzed form of your terms
and b) how does the rewritten query look like (there's a rewrite method
for query that expands wildcard queries into basic queries).

HTH
	Morus