lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Sorting on a long string
Date Wed, 29 Sep 2004 18:19:06 GMT
On Sep 28, 2004, at 9:46 PM, Daly, Pete wrote:
> I am new to lucene, and trying to perform a sorted query on a list of
> people's names.  Lucene seem unable to properly sort on the name field
> of my
> indexed documents.  If I sort by the other (shorter) fields, it seems
> work fine.  The name sort seems to be close, almost like the last few
> iterations through the sort loop are not being done.

How are you indexing the name field?  (code please :)

>   The records are
> obviously not in the normally random order, but not fully sorted
> either.

Normally random order?!  The natural (not using a Sort) order is by
score (also called relevance).  Nothing random about it at all.  In
fact, this ordering is very special!  See the Javadocs on the
Similarity class for details of the formula.

> Are their known limitations in the sorting functionality that I am
> running
> into?  I can provide more details if needed.

No limitations that I know if.  Some bugs have been fixed, so be sure
you're using Lucene 1.4.1, and not just 1.4, but please report back
with more details if this issue still occurs in 1.4.1.

	Erik