lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Bill Janssen <jans...@parc.com>
Subject Re: MultiFieldQueryParser seems broken... Fix attached.
Date Wed, 08 Sep 2004 17:01:06 GMT
René,

Thanks for your note.

I'd think that if a user specified a query "cutting lucene", with an
implicit AND and the default fields "title" and "author", they'd
expect to see a match in which both "cutting" and "lucene" appears.  That is,

(title:cutting OR author:cutting) AND (title:lucene OR author:lucene)

Instead, what they'd get using the current (broken) strategy of outer
combination used by the current MultiFieldQueryParser, would be

(title:cutting OR title:lucene) AND (author:cutting OR author:lucene)

Note that this would match even if only "lucene" occurred in the
document, as long as it occurred both in the title field and in the
author field.  Or, for that matter, it would also match "Cutting on
Cutting", by Doug Cutting :-).

> http://issues.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=lucene-user@jakarta.apache.org&msgId=1798116

Yes, the approach there is similar.  I attempted to complete the
solution and provide a working replacement for MultiFieldQueryParser.

Bill