lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Aviran" <>
Subject RE: Sorting on a long string
Date Wed, 29 Sep 2004 15:45:17 GMT
Currently Lucene can only sort on a Keyword field properly.
I guess your field is tokenized, which in this case the sort does not work

A patch has been suggested to fix this problem ( but has not been applied
yet )

-----Original Message-----
From: Daly, Pete []
Sent: Tuesday, September 28, 2004 15:46 PM
To: Lucene Users List
Subject: Sorting on a long string

I am new to lucene, and trying to perform a sorted query on a list of
people's names.  Lucene seem unable to properly sort on the name field of my
indexed documents.  If I sort by the other (shorter) fields, it seems to
work fine.  The name sort seems to be close, almost like the last few
iterations through the sort loop are not being done.  The records are
obviously not in the normally random order, but not fully sorted either.  I
have tried different ways of sorting, including a SortField array/object
with the field cast as a string.

The index I am sorting has about 1.2 million documents.

Are their known limitations in the sorting functionality that I am running
into?  I can provide more details if needed.

Thanks for any help,

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message