lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Patrick Kates" <>
Subject too many open files
Date Wed, 01 Sep 2004 17:29:44 GMT
I am having two problems with my client's lucene indexes.

One, we are getting a FileNotFound exception (too many open files).  THis
would seem to indicate that I need to increase the number of open files on
our Suse 9.0 Pro box.  I have our sys admin working on this problem for me.

Two, because of this error and subsequent restarting of the box, we seem to
have lost an index segment or two.  My client's tape backups do not contain
the segments we know about.

I am concerned about the missing index segments as they seem to be
preventing any further update of the index.  Does anyone have any
suggestions as to how to fix this besides a full re-index of the problem

I was wondering if maybe a merge of the index might solve the problem?  I
could move our nightly merge of the index files to sooner, but I am afraid
that the merge might make matters worse?

Any ideas or helpful speculation would be greatly appreciated.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message